This year, Second Harvest Food Bank in Orange County was the recipient the largest donation from our 1% Giving Program—a donation that provided 75,000 meals for people in need in our area. Our employees were so excited to see their hard work making a positive impact in their community that they’ve committed to serving all year round.
On February 21, 29 of our team members, including several employees from our customer Ganahl Lumber, spent the day packing boxes and loading pallets at the Second Harvest Food Bank.
Watch the video of our day at Second Harvest Food Bank.
Our day by the numbers:
- 1 pallet = 35 crates = 1000 pounds of food
- 29 volunteers sorted and loaded 16 pallets of food
- An average of 550 pounds of food were sorted and loaded by each volunteer
- 1 pallet feeds 769 people
- 16 pallets will feed 12,307 people in need in our community
About Second Harvest Food Bank in Orange County:
- 1.5 million pounds of food are distributed monthly to people in need
- 240,000 people are served each month
- More than 90 cents of every dollar donated is spent on programs and services
- More than 10,500 people volunteered in 2012
Hunger in OC is a bigger problem than you may think. Did you know:
- Nearly 400,000 people in OC are at risk of hunger
- 1 in 5 children in OC are at risk of hunger
Learn more about how you can help end hunger in Orange County: Second Harvest Food Bank Orange County.